Sunday, August 30, 2009

Speederia Pizzeria (San Carlos)

Sunday night in San Carlos and half the places I want to try are closed. After some internet searching I find "Speederia Pizzeria" which has a 4 of 5 rating on Yelp.com. Time to try.....
http://www.speederiapizzeria.com/

I've walked by this place every time I go to the Farmers Market. They say they are "New York" style pizza. Being born and raised in New York right outside of the city I take these claims very seriously. After all you are representing a style of pizza from a place many of your customers may have never been. Better get it right you know.
I ordered by phone a pie (18" size- your one and only choice) and added mushrooms and sausage. The guy told me 15 minutes and cash only. I walked down and it was ready. I was hungry and ate a slice on the walk home. It was a pipin' hot of course and I burned my mouth some. The crust was very very good. It had a good crunch and light sweetness with a chewy texture inside. The sauce was light and bright, not too sweet like some pizzerias. The mushrooms were fresh cut and not from a tin or bottle but they barely put any on. Four mushroom slices on one piece of pie? Get outta here! The sausage was sliced and not ground. It was par to below par for sausage although there was a decent amount of it the pizza. Okay so was this a "New York" style pizza?

15 minutes and cash only (NY all the way)
Pimple face white boys and random Mexicans working there (Legit)
Crust and sauce (Very solid, would be accepted in NYC)
Toppings (Fuhgetaboutit! I'll bring some mushrooms next time for you guys!)

Oh, a 18" large pie is 15.50$ plain and you can't beat that around here. Skip the toppings and get yourself a couple of these and your drink of choice and enjoy. This is solid "New York" style pizza for the Bay Area and worth a repeat visit.